Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Red Box

I've been a bad blogger of late, but I've been trying to finish up a project I've been thinking about doing for years, finally started a month ago, and put off until this weekend. But at last, I may present to you...the Red Box!


This project started out as a plain white box with chipping paint that sat in the corner of my room underneath a fish tank. The fish tank tended to slosh a lot, which was hard on the poor box, and when I finally got rid of the fish tank, the box was a real eye sore.
I cleaned out the box and sanded down the worst of the chipping paint, and then gave it a layer of primer. When that was done, I found some leftover enamel paint--which happened to be red--and used that to give it some color. I made the mistake of getting some of said enamel paint on my hands, and so I ended up walking around with red fingernails, looking like I'd recently murdered someone. It's gone now, thank god.
I could have left the box like that (I painted the hinges and handles black), but the main reason I got the box in the first place was to paint it and make it interesting. And so began the decorating process.
Enamel, I've found, makes a great surface to doodle with pencil, and I was able to draw out the plans for my design. Since acrylic was all I really had (And I didn't want to mess around with enamel anymore), I used that to paint the design. I was pleased with the result, which actually looks like a tree.

If you've been following the As Yet Unnamed Story, the next chapter's up, and as always, feel free to leave comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments!