Friday, June 22, 2012

The Creature Project

Tyrranigan Falcon--the very first


I have no idea how this project started.
All I know is that I was told one day by a friend of mine that everyone at our lunch table was going to come up with a mythical creature. The idea was to combine the front and back halves of an animal, much like the griffins, centaurs, and satyrs in classical mythology.

Oh, and by the way, I'd been volunteered to draw these creatures.

It was a great project to work on, though some of the animal combinations were a pain to work with. I started with the Tyrranigan Falcon, only to discover that cramming the head of a tyrannosaurus rex on the shoulders of a peregrine falcon was not easy, nor was merging the leathery, wrinkled torso of a rhinoceros to the sleek, neatly striped back end of a tiger. They turned out fine nevertheless, and I learned how to draw several new animals (I never realized how weirdly-shaped the head of a rhinoceros is).

Now all that's left to see is if these drawings ever actually worm their way into modern mythology. Be sure to check out the other creatures on the Doodles and Art page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments!