Sunday, November 24, 2013

Seeing Spots

            I was recently sitting in a chair with a cat in my lap, staring at a passage in a book without actually reading it, when an Asian Beetle suddenly landed on my hand. My first instinct was to flick it away, which I did, but a second one immediately took its place (Seeing as how I was sitting next to a fluorescent lamp and the stupid bugs infiltrate old homes like mine in droves). I was about to flick that one away as well, but for some reason, I arbitrarily decided to watch it and see what it did. I’m a bug fanatic, so it was interesting, watching the way the little club antenna poke around at the ground and its jointed legs moving in perfect synchronization. I watched it like this, enthralled, while it wandered across my hand, and after about a minute, it decided to bite me. I promptly flicked the little ingrate across the room. I got an idea out of it, though.
            Why are ladybug spots always different? Granted, the species currently crawling around my house in shiny, sickly-orange mobs is not that of true ladybugs, but rather of the invasive Asian Beetle breed (Harmonia axyridis) that have been spreading across the U.S since 1992. Unfortunately for me, it’s currently late November, so my wildlife sampling scope is somewhat limited, and I had to make do.
            My first step was to collect some bugs: 

            After that, I had to photograph them. Unfortunately, my camera has only a rudimentary zoom system, so I had to create an elaborate jerry-rigged setup to hold the bugs steady whilst getting close enough to photograph them. Lighting was interesting—I had to use my desk lamp as a flashlight, and the shells of the ladybugs gave so much glare that it was impossible to photograph both sides at once. As a result, there are two pictures of each specimen.




            When I finally got all of my photographs, I uploaded them to my computer and went through them on powerpoint. What I found was this: Out of ten specimens, there wasn’t a single pair between them. Two had the same number of spots, but the size and distribution was different. Some of them, of course, had been dead when I found them, and so their carapaces were too faded to count spots, but barring those, there were no patterns.
            So the question remains: why are ladybug markings different?
            The internet has no clues for me. I was able to find why they have spots, period. It is surmised that the spots, coupled with the bright orange/red carapace, works as a warning system to predators, alerting them to the fact that ladybugs are bad-tasting and slightly poisonous. There are many other species that work this way: blue-ringed octopi, green-arrow frogs, hornets, and monarch butterflies. The method discourages predators from eating anything brightly-colored after their initial encounter with a poisonous individual, leaving everyone else in peace. Some species, like the viceroy butterflies that have developed patterns very similar to the monarchs, piggyback on this concept by imitating species that are actually poisonous.
            As to ladybugs, a possible theory as to why their spots are different is identification, though that would not explain why other beetles, which appear in every respects identical to the human eye, are capable of telling one another apart regardless. Another theory (which, in my opinion, seems more likely), is that the patterns are simply random. If I were to collect enough ladybugs, I might, in time, find two that are exactly alike. In short, I do not know the answer to my original question, though I learned a few things in the finding of this conclusion. If any of my readers do know the answer, I implore you to post the answer below in the comments section for posterity.
Thank you for reading, and happy Thanksgiving.
S.R. Koch.

Resources:
With special thanks to Eric Sloane’s America, Poems of Byron Keats and Shelly, H.W Janson’s History of Art, The Webster’s Dictionary, The Poetical Works of Browning, and Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth, for propping up my photography background during my haphazard picture shoot.


...And here's the photos I took of my Asian Beetle sampling (note: specimens six and three were old and faded): 

           




















No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments!